In 1913, the Earlscourt Circuit of the Methodist Union of Toronto, surveyed the new "Silverthorn Heights" subdivision to determine whether there was a need for a church to serve the growing community. As a result, a frame building large enough to accommodate 175 people was constructed at the southeast corner of Rosethorn Avenue and what is now Rogers Road. This church was dedicated and opened first for public worship on January 18, 1914. By 1917, the congregation had grown to the extent that it separated from the Earlscourt Circuit and became an independent charge in July of that year.
Silverthorn Methodist Church became Silverthorn United Church with the formation of the United Church of Canada in June 1925. The following year, construction began on a new building at the corner of Aileen Avenue and Scott Road. The Sanctuary opened for worship on October 23, 1926 and continued to serve the congregation until 1995. Many improvements were made over the years. The last major change was the addition of a Christian Education wing which was completed in 1957.
The Acoming together of Silverthorn with Mount Dennis seems most fitting as Silverthorn United was itself the product of amalgamations. In 1938, St. Luke's United (formerly Presbyterian) Church which had been located on Kane Avenue, joined Silverthorn. More recently in 1971, Prospect Park United Church amalgamated with Silverthorn United, with the property being sold and the amalgamated congregation continuing at Silverthorn. The Prospect Park congregation is remembered elsewhere in the Mount Dennis United Church building.
Throughout its more than eighty years of history, Silverthorn was an integral, vibrant Christian presence in the Silverthorn neighbourhood. Histories of the congregation emphasize the sharing of the congregation through the very difficult years of the Depression when over half the members were unemployed. They list the sacrifices made by so many in both World Wars and they praise the dedication of so many people in so many other ways.
In the early 1990's, after many years of growth, changes in the make up of the neighbourhood and a general aging of the congregation, led the members to consider options for the future. After coming to the difficult conclusion that the congregation did not have the resources for renewal alone, the members decided to join with Mount Dennis United Church in July 1995 and to seek renewal in a wider community. At the specific request of the Silverthorn congregation, some moneys received from the sale of the Silverthorn property were to be dedicated to adding an elevator to the Mount Dennis building and otherwise improving access for the handicapped and the elderly.