Mallory, William Henry Sr.
MALLORY, William Henry Sr. (1830-1886) was active in southern Ontario from 1877 onward. No information can be found on his early career, but his name first appears in Chatham in 1877 where he was in practice with his son John W. Mallory. In October of that year he submitted an entry in the competition for the Stratford High School (Stratford Beacon, 5 Oct. 1877. 2). More than thirty designs were sent in by architects from the United States and Canada, and Mallory was one three finalists, but his proposal was set aside and the commission later awarded to McCaw & Lennox. In 1881 he moved to Toronto and later that year he formed a partnership with Silas James (see list of works under James, Mallory & Mallory). By July of 1882 this relationship had ended and he continued to work under the name of Mallory & Son until October 1885 when their business name was changed to Mallory & Company. He died in Toronto on 11 May 1886 and his two sons John W. and Frank S. inherited the practice (death notice in the Globe [Toronto], 12 May 1886, 8; OA, York County Wills 6078).
MALLORY & SON CHATHAM, ONT., commercial block with Public Hall for S. Barfoot, King Street 'east of the Market', 1878 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 6 Feb. 1878, 2, descrip.) SPRINGFIELD, ONT., Methodist Church, 1878 (Free Press [London], 7 March 1878, 2, t.c.) CHATHAM, ONT., commercial block for Kenneth Urquhart, King Street near William Street, 1878 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 25 Oct. 1878, 2, descrip.) CHATHAM, ONT., residence for John Rice, Victoria Avenue, 1878 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 25 Oct. 1878, 2) GODERICH, ONT., Victoria Street Methodist Church, 1878; damaged by tornado Aug. 2011 and later demol. Oct. 2011 (Victoria Street United Church: Our Year of Jubilee 1878-1948, 11, illus.) CHATHAM, ONT., large residence for Mayor Northwood, William Street at Murray Street, 1879 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 24 July 1879, 3) BLENHEIM, ONT., residence for T.R. Jackson, County Warden, 1879 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 24 July 1879, 3) LEAMINGTON, ONT., Town Hall, 1879 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 24 July 1879, 3) AYLMER, ONT., Methodist Church, 1879 (Chatham Tri-Weekly Planet, 24 July 1879, 3) HURON COUNTY, residence for William Long, Concession 4, Colborne Township, 1879 (inf. from Stephen Otto, Toronto) TORONTO, ONT., two houses on Thomas Bonner, McGill Street, 1882 (Toronto b.p. 33, 2 March 1882) TORONTO, ONT., three houses for Thomas Bonner, Anne Street, 1882 (Toronto b.p. 100, 14 June 1882) NEWMARKET, ONT., Town Hall & Market, Botsford Street, 1882 (Globe [Toronto], 18 Aug. 1882, 5, t.c.) AYR, ONT., factory shops for the Watson Manufacturing Co., 1882; additions and two cottages, 1883 (Globe [Toronto], 15 Sept. 1882, 5, t.c.; 2 April 1883, 4, t.c.) TORONTO, ONT., pair of houses for John Young, Sultan Street, 1882 (Toronto b.p. 175, 10 Nov. 1882) ACTON, ONT., factory for W.H. Storey & Son, 1883 (Globe [Toronto], 21 July 1883, 4, t.c.) ACTON, ONT., Town Hall, Willow Street, 1883 (Acton Free Press, 26 July 1883, 2, payment of fees to Mallory & Son for plans) HALTON HILLS, ONT., Union Presbyterian Church, Esquesing Township, 22nd Sideroad near Winston Churchill Boulevard, 1883-84 (Centennial of Union Presbyterian Church, Esquesing 1833-1983, 11; inf. Ian Mason, Toronto) OWEN SOUND, ONT., major alterations to Knox Presbyterian Church, 1885 (Owen Sound Advertiser, 4 June 1885, 2, t.c.) BRAMPTON, ONT., St. Paul's Methodist Church, Main Street at John Street, 1885-86 (Conservator [Brampton], 12 June 1885, 2, descrip.; 12 Feb. 1886, 2, descrip.) WESTON, ONT., Methodist Church, Weston Road at King Street, 1885-87 (Telegram [Toronto], 21 Oct. 1885, 4, t.c.; S. Musselwhite, History of Central United Church Weston 1821-1971, 12) LINDSAY, ONT., Cambridge Street Methodist Church, major additions and interior alterations, 1886 (inf. from Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, Lindsay)